Pubs set to remain shut
The National Public Health Emergency Team appears to have recommended pubs remain shut.
The Taoiseach says he's received "very firm advice" from the public health experts, which is being discussed at a Cabinet meeting.
Tánaiste Leo Varadkar says they can't make any decisions which would affect the reopening of schools:
BREAKING: Tanaiste says the decision made at Cabinet today will come as a “further blow” to sectors which have so far been unable to reopen. (This doesn’t sound positive for pubs) pic.twitter.com/sRdixLwdtt
— Shane Beatty (@ShaneBeattyNews) August 4, 2020
Phase four was to see pubs, bars, hotel bars and casinos re-open - while gatherings of up to 100 people indoors and 500 outdoors will be permissible.
Phase four was originally due to kick in on July 20th, but was put back due to a rise in cases.
CEO of the Vintners' Federation of Ireland, Padraig Cribben, said he was worried pubs are being blamed for the mistakes of the general public.
He said: "What we're concerned will happen is that the government will take a view that we will send a message to the general public via keeping the pubs closed.