The latest Netflix true crime documentary lands on the streaming platform today.
The Staircase tells the story of Kathleen Peterson's murder and her crime novelist husband Michael who was accused.
The series originally aired in 2004 as a French television documentary.
The original series drops on Netflix today along with three new episodes which feature updated information and footage.
If you want to skip straight to the new episodes here's what you need to know:
- Kathleen Peterson was found dead at the bottom of a staircase in December 2001
- Michael discovered the scene and contacted police
- He claimed she fell while he was in their back garden and that he heard nothing
- Authorities didn't believe Michael's story
- He was charged with the murder and a French film crew documented the trail
- Michael was then convicted of the murder in 2003
- In 2011 he was granted a new trial
- In February 2017 he made a plea bargain & his charge was reduced to manslaughter
- He was sentenced to time already served and freed